StatCounter

Thursday, January 14, 2016

I Lived (well, almost)!


 
By: Kelly Gilton
Texas A&M University

When I was interviewing for graduate school in 2014, I listened to a song called “I Lived” by One Republic before every single interview. It has been my anthem throughout my time in my graduate program. Some of the lyrics have continued to ring true in the beginning of my job search. I am hoping to share what I am experiencing with other second year grads who are in the midst of this with me, and maybe it will help first years as they look for internships. 

“Hope when you take that jump, you don’t fear the fall” This line rings true most often throughout the beginning of my job search as I read through job descriptions, department missions, school values, etc. I find that there are some jobs I am confident in applying for and some that feel like they are more of a gamble. I can’t let that fear dictate my job search. What if the job that is meant for me is one of these schools? I’d never know if I didn’t try. As my program director, Dr. Kelli Peck-Parrott would tell me, JUMP!

“The only way you can know is give it all you have” If I never jump, I’ll never know where I am meant to be or how an interview or application would have turned out. That being said, when working through cover letters, resumes, applications, or interviewing on the phone or at a conference like TPE, give them everything you have. These are the times to sell yourself and your experiences. It is important to have those in your network review resumes and cover letters, but also remember their comments are their opinions. There is not just one correct way to write a resume or cover letter. Do what feels most like you. This is one way to aid in your own success. Everything you do in the job search needs to show who you are! 

“Hope you spend your days, but they all add up” To me this line speaks to remembering to take time throughout this process to spend time with the people you care about. Friends, colleagues, cohort members, and/or family. I try to make sure that I make time to spend time (at least one night a week) doing fun things around town with my friends/cohort members. I love the town I am in for grad school, College Station, and I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that in 5 months, I will pack up and leave friends and people who I now consider family behind. I plan to be very cognizant this semester in how I spend my time and how much time I spend with those around me doing things we love to do.

“I owned every second that this world could give. I saw so many places, the things that I did. With every broken bone, I swear I lived” I want to be able to graduate and move on to my first full time position knowing I gave my search everything I had. I also want to know I fully experienced everything I wanted to during my graduate program. This final semester will be spent fully embracing the changes that are coming and working to prepare myself to be successful no matter what the future holds for me. It is all about quality of time spent working and with friends, not quantity of time.

I hope this song and the lyrics help someone out there who is going through this process as well. For me, it will constantly be a reminder of all that’s coming and all I’ve done. I have come a long way, but I still have a long way to go before I walk across that stage with my hood in front of family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment