StatCounter

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Welcome to the Real World: Job Searching



Derrick Robinson 
Indiana State University


As a student affairs and higher education second year graduate student the reality is truly hitting home that graduation is near and the job search season is here.  I am currently feeling nervous, anxious, and excited to see what is next in this chapter of my life.  The uncertainty of not knowing where I will be after graduation will be stressful, but I think as graduate students we also have to remember that it is exciting to know that we are moving on to the next phase of our professional lives. During the job search I am trying to keep a very positive and open-minded attitude about the process.  I know this is my very first job search so not to get overly anxious, but at the same time take in this initial experience because it will not be my last.

What Type of Search Am I Doing?
Every search will be different for everyone by preference and circumstances. My job search is open ended. I currently do not have a lot of commitments holding me down at the age of twenty-four so I am open to going to a new location around the country. I think this a great time and opportunity to truly be willing to try something new and experience something outside of my comfort zone. I love learning different areas so why not at a young age experience something new while I can? Do I have my preferences? Absolutely! My home state of Indiana has some harsh winters, but I would not mind being in an area where the sun is always shinning.

Being Intentional
During my search I am being very intentional on the type of work environments I would like to be in. For me, I love feeling a part of a team, feeling included, and having solid communication.  I am looking each university’s mission statement and values because I want to make sure that I am in a place that I will be able to uphold those values. In addition, professional development is important to me. I want to make sure I am in a department that promotes involvement in ACPA or NASPA. Ever since my undergraduate years I have been heavily involved with NASPA and I love giving back to an organization that has done so much for me professionally and personally.

Functional Areas
I have worked in many areas so far but I would love to be in a position in residential life, student activities, multicultural affairs, or conduct.  I have had many practicum experiences and internships that have helped me find my interest in these areas.  The beauty about student affairs is that there are many functional areas to work in and get to experience in.  My first preference will be in residential life. I say this because you get to wear many hats in a resident director role.

Conferences
The Southern Placement Exchange and NASPA’S TPE (The Placement Exchange).
I have decided to go to conferences as part of my job search process. I think it is a great way to travel and see multiple universities/interview in one main setting.  Some people feel the exchanges are not a good fit. What I have learned is that you have to do what is best for you in the job search process.  For me, I enjoy conferences and I am used to that fast paced and large environment setting so I think this will be a great experience for me overall.

Keep calm and just do the best you can
The process is going to be stressful so I am learning to have patience. I know it is easy to get overwhelmed during this time, but I also know I have to stay calm. I am really looking forward to graduation and know my opportunity will soon come. 



1 comment:

  1. I was in the same situation as you. What I noticed was as soon as a job would post, it was gobbled up by a dozen people looking for any work. I decided to put the word out on less traveled forums like taking to friends of friends and found a killer internship at the local radio station that actually paid too.

    Mariano Flanders @ Andiamo! Group

    ReplyDelete