StatCounter

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Embracing Your Inner Superhero- SA Search


Jack Nesmith
Rider University 
As I enter my last semester of graduate school, the path to starting the next step of my Student Affairs path during my SA search. This semester, I am very excited and nervous to prepare for my search and the next steps of my goals to become a successful Student Affairs professional. During my winter break, I spent hours and made a timeline of goals and agendas towards working on my resume, planners, and ideas for positions that I am interested in during my last semester of graduate school. With all of the planning, directing, and goal setting that I worked out, one of the biggest goals I made was to enjoy the experience. Even with the stress of the unknown, it is important to take some time to reflect on my journey. One of the ways that I want to stay motivated for the SA Search process is connected to something I love… Superheroes. Marvel, D.C., and other hero genres have helped with my passions towards my goals in relation to Student Affairs and finding my best fit for the search process. Looking up to their experiences with success, hardships, and values have related toward my development as a leader and a graduate student preparing for this search journey. A hero that is my favorite is Captain America because he always believes in doing the right thing and helping others succeed as a democratic leader. I wanted to write this blog to provide some tips to graduate students that are going through the SA Search process on how to stay motivated and excited for your opportunities for success.
“Stand By Your Vision”- What I love about Captain America is his vision for success despite how many people may not agree or see his ideas to be successful.  He will stand by his path and embrace his decisions. During this final semester of graduate school, I am going to stand by my goals towards my search and accept the path that I hope to set for myself. While preparing for interviews, going to conferences, and setting up my professional experience, I want to make sure all of my experience is helping me grow and stay positive. Even with a long list of tasks to complete and focusing on my academic and personal experience, I plan to walk in with confidence and believe that the right opportunity for success will be out there for me.
“Research Your Next Step”- As a leader and solider, Captain America has to plan his goals and outline for success on ways to help his team complete missions and understand who is on his side to help. During this search, I want to research schools, positions, and opportunities for growth in all the positions that I apply for. I want to make sure I am honest and ask myself questions such as “How can I apply my skills to this position?” “What will be my experience to help grow as a professional?” and “ What will be some of my goals during this process?”
“Never Let Comparison’s Take Away Your Success”- On a team of superheroes, it can be easy for someone like Captain America to become down if he compared himself to heroes that are stronger, have more powers, and are seen in a higher light. Despite being a super solider, he is limited by some abilities such as mental powers, flying, and other stronger heroes on his team but, he uses his skills to stay strong and become a respected leader by his peers and friends. During this process, it is important to know that your path to success will be different from others and that is ok. You are still awesome and will have success on a path that works for you as timing, positions, and experience for everyone during this time will be different. Be ok with the unknown and the timing of your experience as you will find the best fit for “yourself”
“Remember Your Team Will Help You Achieve Your Goal”- Even the best leaders need a team of people to support them when life gets hard. Superheroes like Captain America had the Avengers to support him while saving the world, Peggy Carter to believe in him as he develops into the legend he is today, and his best friend Bucky Barnes to keep him focused and positive during times of dangers. For me, my support system of my family, friends, and mentors have been in my corner when times get hard or stress gets me down. As a take some steps towards some big moves, it can be a little scary as a huge over-planner towards my future. Despite how unknown the future may be, I am reminded that my Support System will always be by my side as my team to build me up when I need them at my side.
I want to wish everyone the best during their SA Search and remember that you will be success and that your path of success will be different from others. Keep going towards your goals and seeing the light of your success.

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank Dr.Agbazara for his job in my family, this is man who left me and the kids for another woman without any good reasons, i was pain and confuse,till one day when i was browsing through the internet with my computer then i saw Dr.Agbazara contact, then i contaced him and he help me cast a reunion spell, since I then the situation has changed, everything is moving well, my husband who left me is now back to his family. reach DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE via email if you have any relationship problem at:

    ( agbazara@gmail.com )
    OR whatsapp or call him on +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete