StatCounter

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Lesson: Allow Yourself To Breathe!


Heather J. Macon
University of Missouri – St. Louis


So, the second time around, I think I got this down pack! I am currently a second year graduate student and I will be honest and say that I took heed to my job search stress immediately leaving undergrad. I remember being stressed, uncertain and having so many grammatical errors in what I thought was a cover letter. I reflected back on the lessons I had learned, thought about a few things I could have done differently, and most importantly: Now, I take a look at what I have to offer and how eager I am to succeed! Trust me; growth does occur in the job search process!
1.     Seek Mentorship – One thing I learned for sure throughout my first year of graduate school was to seek a mentor. It’s always to have more than one, and I can truly say that each mentor that I have whether it is male or female has taught me something very beneficial coming into the world of Student Affairs. I have mentors in Residence Life, Student Life, Student Conduct, and even Academic Affairs; each person has brought a new dynamic to my life. It really does help to have a mentor guide you along your job search process from resumes, cover letters and all the way to practice interviews.
2.     Constructive Criticism/Feedback – Be open to asking questions, and having open discussions about your vision, goals and most current experience. Talk with someone about how the process is going so far, what it is that you are doing, what are some things that you don’t quite understand? There will be someone to offer you feedback, and there will be someone to offer a suggestion or two on what it is you can do differently or enhance. It’s all about being transparent, and open to constructive criticism and feedback! I would much rather want someone to tell me “this cover letter is very bland, and doesn’t show what you have to offer,” Than someone simply smiling and nodding “this is good.” Um no thank you, be completely honest with me. 
3.     Be Open-Minded/Research – Always remember to job search with an open-mind, and do some research on some institutions and places that you haven’t quite considered. It sort of goes back to mentorship as well. There are some institutions I have come across just by having afternoon lunch dates, browsing LinkedIn or the TPE (The Placement Exchange) website. I can say that with research, and being open-minded it kind of takes a bit of stress off of you, realizing that there are so many options! Put in the work!
4.     Network – I’ve traded in some Facebook hours for LinkedIn, seriously. No seriously. I go out a bit more to campus committee functions, and I take the opportunity to engage in meaningful conversations about the next phase of life. When asked to sit on a panel or offer insight on what it that I have learned the most about the “job search” it’s NETWORKING! I encourage you to step your game up and reach out to someone in the field and ask questions. It’s always good to know good people!
5.     Relax – Breathe and understand that everything will be okay. Give yourself good timing, and work toward that end goal. It’s just the beginning, you are just starting out, and so you will go through the job search process again. Take time to reflect on what it is that you are doing right! Fill your mind with positive thoughts, and always remember that there is nothing wrong with seeking guidance! You’ve got this!
I know we get annoyed with all the corrections and drafts of cover letters and resumes, but allow your skilled self to breathe! You are almost to the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment